11 days today. Hospital life sucks. My doctor was really great and let me have a day pass today. I just have to get back before 8pm to give myself my heparin shot. I gave it to myself this morning. The nurses were proud of me :) The needle itself I don't even feel, but because the liquid is really thick, it feels like a wasp bite going in. The top of my leg where it connects to my body hurts really bad all the time. It's constant pain that keeps me up at night if my tylenol wears off. I'm not complaining though...I had my IV in for 10 days with heparin running 24/7. It was connected to an IV machine called an alaris, which monitors how much fluid is running through it exactly. These are only used when someone is getting medication through intravenous. Anyway, this stupid thing was sooo annoying. It constantly alarmed through the night because of air bubbles and it kept me up all night long. The second site I had for my IV got infected, which really sucked. My leg goes purple when I'm up on it for more than a couple minutes. My doc says that probably won't go away for months :(
On another note, Gavin is so stinkin cute. lol. I'm going to get another fill of him right now since I only have 5.5 hours left today. Sorry that this post was bouncing around everywhere, I don't even know what I wrote now because I've been holding Gavin and talking to people. I'll try to write again on Monday. Hope all is well with everyone!!!
5 comments:
Day passes are fun eh? How does it feel being a patient knowing everything you know as a nursing student? You give yourself the injection! I'm scared to do that. I liken the feeling to wet cement being injected into the body! Keep your leg elevated!!!!! I hope you get better soon... Ask for morphine. Wow! It's anyone's best friend. I think I am addicted to it! It's better through the IV as oppose to orally!
Finally, some information. We were really concerned about you when mom (Oma) called and told us that you were in the hospital. Hang in there, our prayers are with you.
Thanks! I'm home now!!! All I was allowed to take for pain was tylenol. The shots aren't that bad. It's about the same size as an insulin injection but the liquid is very very thick so it stings.
Wierd that something thickl will thin your blood.
Glad you're home! Hope that you will find ways to fill your time. It must be tough.
Post a Comment