Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Compensation



I was approached this afternoon while I was outside by a man who was nicely dressed and wanted to speak with me. I figured he was another joho wanting to discuss their magazines with me. He said to me, "I just want to talk to you about those signs at the corner of your lawn". I gave a snarky remark about them being there for about a year without anyone asking us. So anyway, he told me they want to put a bigger one up. A bigger one?!?!? These stupid signs are posted all around Smithville and are huge enough. James and I have hit them down, thrown them into dumpsters and moved them soo many times and the next day there would be a brand new one up in it's place. We don't like the signs very much. He told me he wants to put up a banner on the side of our house. I asked him how long they would want it there and he said about 1 year. Hmmm...I would have said "no freaking way" until he said he would make sure that we are compensated for this.

That got me thinking :D. He asked me if we wanted the exterior of our house painted. We do, but what's the point if a huge banner is going up on one side. When they take it down, there will be a huge dark square in it's place because of fading.

This is where I would like everyone else to come in. I want to know from people what they would do, and if they said yes to the banner, what would you want from them? For everyone's information as well...it was the owner of Phelps Homes himself..he's actually the owner of Kaiser Associates who owns Phelps Homes or something like that. They have money and build houses.

If James and I agree, should we "rent" out the side of our house monthly, ask of a lump sum, get them to paint our house in a year after the banner is taken down?What?! I'm not sure. Let me know what you all think! Thanks

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. How about buy your house?
Mom

Alisha said...

LOL!! That sign looks so funny!! But if it's going to make you some money I'd go for it. I would ask them to paint the house and give you the paint so you can fix it once the sign is gone AND pay you monthly for it. Look up what it costs for a billboard and charge that. :)

Morgie said...

I say do it!
If people wanted to put a billboard on our yard we would let them.. but i guess it wouldn't be right on our house?!

Larissa said...

James thought of them paving our driveway and once their sign is taken down then paint our whole house and garage. Thoughts?

Bert said...

They would have to pay me a LOT of money. Find out what it would normally cost, then double that amount, get them to paint the house after the sign goes down, then pave your driveway.

Linda said...

What Alisha said. I would also suggest that they provide goods and services rather than money because you'll get more from them that way.