Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Growing Garden

I wasn't going to be over adventurous this year with my vegetable garden.  I really thought that the space I had was much too small for a lot of different plants, so I only planted a few things.  I know for next year that I can really fit a lot more into the space. 

Next years garden will include:
Sweet Corn!
Beans
Peas
Cabbage
Tomato
Cherry Tomato
Leeks
Green Onion
Garlic (actually will be planted this october)
Sunflowers
Carrots

Also, I'm adding 2 blueberry bushes into my strawberry bed. 

I have a blueprint of where all of the plants will go.  I have the rotation planned for when my garlic comes out and what goes in afterwards.  We'll also be adding a new bed (about half the size of the others) for corn.  I will know how many plants I need to grow after this winter.  I am buying a whole bunch of sweet corn cobs and freezing the kernels.  How much we go through will be how much I plant, plus some for bbqing during the late summer!




My hot peppers are doing really well! I kept them in a pot for some reason, and I actually like them in there..it just looks cool. Green onions are right on track. Tomatoes are finally coming along. I'm 100% sure that they are late because I've stunted the growth from lack of water..oopsie.  My cabbage is beautiful. Probably my most favourite thing in the garden. I cannot wait to harvest it and make cabbage rolls to freeze and eat!  The head has formed, now to just get bigger!  My peas were a failure, mainly because of the baby bunnies that got to them before we could. I wouldn't change that for anything though :) The bunnies were/are so cute - Nicole wanted to kill them when we found the nest...  Next year, we are putting one more row of ties down to build up the bed and installing some wire mesh all the way around. We are also getting some mesh so that birds can't get our strawberries/bluberries/sunflowers/corn.  The bunnies also ate 6 of my original strawberry plants.  They've really began to shoot out runners, so I'll have tons more coming.  I'm looking forward to next summer when Jaela and Aeris can pick them. 

We did a border around our flower beds along the front and side of our house. It looks really good, although I can't wait until the colour fades a bit to match our decks.  This Saturday we are getting yards and yards of soil and mulch. I'll post pictures once that's completed. 

No comments: