Sunday, February 17, 2008

Family Day

Tomorrow is Family Day and lucky for James, he has it off of work! We will however be spending it at his sister and (soon to be) brother in laws house. We'll be there with the rest of their wedding party discussing the stag and doe.

I really wish we didn't have to go. We had a lot of stuff on our agenda that we wanted to get done. The flooring in the bedroom was a big one.

I got my dress ordered. A size 20. Oh I can just imagine it now. Enough said.

This weekend at Albright was hard. I loved my partner and we both agreed that we worked very well together. We had our 3 residents (the same as last week) that we had to get up. I did my bathing lab Saturday afternoon, and it went very well. Saturday morning was a whole different story.

Our teacher came in and you could tell by the way she was carrying herself that she was not in a good mood. She intimidated and criticized all day and made it very awkward. She fell asleep in the nurses station at one point. Yelled at everyone, but some more than others (I wasn't one of those thank goodness). Having her in a room with you and your partner, gawking at what you are doing, ready to jump on the first thing that you may do "not right", is such an awful feeling. She had everyone sick to their stomachs...my partner actually ended up throwing up.

Our shifts end at 3pm, but at 2:30 the class goes downstairs into a conference room to have meetings about our day. As soon as we all sat down, she said, "As you can all probably tell, I am NOT in a good mood today. What the BLEEP was that up there?!?!?!?!"

She accused us of not lifting correctly and basically not doing anything right. She gave us a huge speech about not being quick enough and having our processes down right. After that speech, she started on another one. The second being about how we will not be fully comfortable at this job for at least 1 year of getting into the workforce and it takes YEARS to master everything. WHAT WAS SHE TRYING TO SAY TO US?!?!? She kept contradicting herself and it made us all very frusterated! I was glad when a lady piped up and asked, "Donna, is there "anything" that we did right today?" Donna replied with, "I'm hardest on those who I have the most faith in". That was so stupid. I was SOOO mad because my partner and I thought we actually did a pretty good job all day. We have never put anyone in a dangerous situation nor have we ever put someone in harms way. Our lifting was fine and we had everyone at breakfast early.

Oh and during the speeches our teacher was giving us, she asked a girl a question. She began her reply with "I think". We were told NOT TO THINK AND JUST TO DO. Every time we were talking and added an I thought or I think, we got our heads bitten off. This was all due to her not having sleep the night before and being in a really pissy mood. I didn't want to go back today and this is SOOO bad to even admit, but on my way to Albright this morning I was wishing I would ditch my car so I didn't have to go in. I took everything she said so personally (as well as everyone else) because I did "think" I performed great. Whatever.

Nonetheless, our teacher got sleep last night, thank goodness, and was in a much better mood. She didn't bombard us at all. She didn't spy on us when getting our residents up and out of bed. When it came time for lifts, my partner and I made a game plan so that they wouldn't be in the lifts upright for more than the time that was needed. We positioned both of our residents who need wheelchairs correctly the first time and I KNOW that our teacher was happy with both of us. There was no complaints on our performance.

Right before lunch today our teacher called a meeting for all the students. We went into a board room and there was a sit to stand lift. I just knew what this was for. Other students wait around and are so terribly slow when their resident is in a lift. With that being said, we all had to go into this stupid thing and hang there for however long our teacher wanted us to. She wanted us to know how was it was like and tried to hurt our armpits and legs. She would ask everyone how they felt and most people would reply with "it hurts really bad" and she would then reply with good and keep you in it a couple minutes longer. When it came to my turn to be in this lift, she lifted me and she asked me how it was. I said it was fine. I told her I actually didn't mind it. lol I don't think she liked that too much. After everyone had a chance to be in this lift, she was scolding all of us and saying that we have to be fast!! That is the biggest thing with her, so that the residents aren't hanging for so long. My partner and I were mad that she made us do this as well because we did everything perfect! There was nothing we did wrong. Because of a few stupid classmates we all have to do the most dumbest things.

We also had to try puree and minced foods that were left over from breakfast and lunch. Puree bacon with pureed toast and jam. I almost puked. At lunch we had minced chili and minced egg salad. It was so disgusting. I felt like I had death breath all day because of it. We had to try this because one of my classmates had to open their big mouths and say in the dining room how gross it looked.

So after all of this said and done, today did go very well. I just hate that everyone has to be "punished" for a few peoples remarks and actions. Next week I get 6 residents on the south and west wings. I'm looking forward to it and I'm confident I can get everyone up and going before breakfast, I just dislike the partner I am now with. We had to switch again. I'm with the lazy ass girl who I was with the first 3 shift we had. I guess I'll step up and be the lead once again though..it just works out so much better when tasks are split evenly.

Thank you for bearing with me. I do like working at albright I just hate being bombarded and intimidated and having my whole clinical experience gone to crap when my teacher doesn't get enough sleep.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

PHEWEE I'm glad you got that off your chest. Maybe you should work up to being the teacher. I'm sure you would have patience with everyone. :}
Please don't wish to ditch your car again. :(
Mom

Larissa said...

lol yah right...me have patience?! :P

Linda said...

I cannot believe your teacher! That is unacceptable behaviour and she should be reported to the school administration. This is harrassment and intimidation. She should be charged. I don't think you should put up with it AT ALL! What I hear from you in your posts is that you have compassion and empathy for the people you work with. Hanging in a lift and eating gross food will not make you more empathetic. You should hang her by her toe nails and make her stay there all day.

Bert said...

I agree with Linda. She ought to have her a$$ canned. We had a person once at the company I work for who pulled the same stunt. A bunch of us went to one of the owners, and he couldn't believe it. She almost got fired. She called another meeting, around lunch, apologized and traeted us to a pizza lunch. At least she apologized.

You ought to put some of that pureed bacon in the heating vent's of her car. In the summer. On the morning of a HOT day.